Guide:Starplate Raider strategies
Starplate Raider is a Pre-Hardmode worm boss. It is recommended that you fight Starplate Raider after The Tide event, due to the Tide having some helpful drops and it being easier than the boss itself. Whilst it has relatively low defence, the boss can deal extremely high damage to players and this guide will help you combat this.
Terrain Preparation[edit | edit source]
The type of preparation you'll be making depends on your approach. Since Starplate Raider is a worm boss, the best weapon for melee users will be swords, since the blade will be able to hit all the segments. In this case, just some flat land should do the trick. As for all the other classes, a couple of platforms should help in this battle.
It may be useful to summon and kill the Eye of Cthulhu (he will usually be defeated quickly when engaged with weapons at this tier) before summoning Starplate Raider in order to spawn an extra one-use pool of Hearts. You can also choose to add a few Heart Statues wired to a Timer to supply you with some additional health. Another great help is building a few small pools of Honey and building Campfires and Heart Lanterns around the arena.
Gearing Up[edit | edit source]
Armor[edit | edit source]
- One should use at minimum Clatterbone armor but better armor is always an option.
- Ranged users would benefit from Cryolite armor or Necro armor.
- Magic users should definitely use Talon armor or Floran armor.
- Melee users will benefit from Molten armor.
- Summoners must use either Diver's armor or Bee armor.
- Throwers must use the Fiery armor or Fossil armor
Weapons[edit | edit source]
Some weapons are more effective than others with this boss. Due to its multiple segments, piercing weapons are recommended.
Melee[edit | edit source]
Starplate Raider can be a big challenge for melee users due to its high damage, meaning melee users cannot tank hits as much as other fights.
- What most would consider the first option is indeed a rather good option. The Shard of Thanos Tier I is a decent weapon for its piercing ability.
- The weakest form of Starplate Raider is when it is not chasing you. Like the Crawltipede enemy, the Starplate Raider does not try to deal contact damage when you are in contact with a block.
- The Night's Edge is a very good choice due to its high damage and relatively fast speed.
- The Dark Lance and any other spear is fantastic due to its ability to pierce through body segments.
- Boomerangs such as the Flamarang or Flame Chakram can do great if it can continuously hit the body.
- The Fiery Flail, Tidal Crusher and Sunfury are all fantastic flails that will allow you to do great piercing damage.
- A large sword would be very effective. Good choices include; the Tidal Blade, Fiery Blade, Cryolite Sword and also Bee Keeper.
- Using the Valor, Cascade or Bonesaw, along with a Counterweight, can easily damage multiple segments of the boss quickly.
Magic[edit | edit source]
For magic users, Starplate Raider can pose a threat due to the low defence of armor sets.
- Weapons like the Bee Gun can be great for damaging multiple segments overtime.
- The Crimson Rod does great damage against this boss, just like any other worm type enemy.
- Various other piercing magic weapons could do destroy this boss in a very short amount of time. Some of these are the Demon Scythe, Aqua Sceptre, Water Bolt and Black Tide.
- The Flower of Fire and Flamelash can be effective.
- Weapons such as the Firespark Wand can be great for this battle.
- Solus tier I is a good choice for this battle.
Ranged[edit | edit source]
As with most bosses, ranged weapons would be easier to use than melee weapons. And even while this is one of the easier bosses for melee, a ranged weapon with enough piercing can simply hit so many parts at once that it out damages melee weapons by a great amount.
- The Night Sky completely destroys this boss, along with any other bow when combined with Jester's Arrows.
- Guns such as the Shadow Shot, Phoenix Blaster, Tidal Blaster and especially The Cryoblaster are all fantastic weapons for this battle, especially with Meteor Shots.
- The Star Weaver Tier I is a fantastic choice for this battle.
- If you can gather the ammo, the Star Cannon can absolutely destroy the boss in seconds.
- The Dread Water is a good choice for this fight.
- The Hellwing Bow with at least 700-1000 Wooden Arrows can do a lot of damage to the boss.
- The Bee's Knees is a brilliant choice for this battle, especially when paired with the Hive Pack.
Summoner[edit | edit source]
Summoner at this point of the game is a viable class.
- Sentries such as the Ballista are a great choice for its piercing abilities.
- The Miniflayer Staff is a good choice for this fight.
- Arguably the best weapon for this battle is the Imp Staff due to its piercing abilities.
- The Skeletalon Staff is a good idea for this fight.
- The Death Wind is a semi-decent weapon for this fight.
Throwing[edit | edit source]
Throwers can do some great damage at this point.
- Tidal Grenades/Beenades are amazing choices for this fight.
- Tidal Daggers and Bone Throwing Knives are also fantastic.
- Bone Glove is a good choice because of its piercing ability.
- The Molotov Cocktail is a very good choice for this battle
- A large amount of Bone Cutters are viable for this battle.
- The Death Rot can do sufficient damage.
Accessories[edit | edit source]
There are many great accessories available at this point.
- Bone King's Wings are almost a must-have. Spectre Boots/Lightning Boots/Frostspark Boots also really help in this battle.
- An Obsidian Shield or Cobalt Shield are great for this battle to prevent knockback.
- A Shield of Cthulhu is a great help as it allows you to quickly evade the boss' attacks.
- A Shark Tooth Necklace is a helpful accessory for bonus damage.
- The Hive Pack is fantastic if using bee-related weapons.
- Baby Clamper is good for summoners.
- Assasin's Magazine is a good choice for rangers.
- Feral Claws are good for melee users.
- Celestial Cuffs and the Cogflower are good choices for mages.
- Thrower's Glove is a nice choice for throwers.
In this boss battle, it is arguably best to reforge your accessories with damage.
Potions[edit | edit source]
- As with all boss fights a good supply of Healing Potions or even Honeyfins would help you survive longer and a supply of Mana Potions in case you are going to use magic weapons.
- One of the most useful potions would be the Ironskin Potion, helping you survive longer. Regeneration Potions also help for this.
- A Bowl of Soup, Pumpkin Pie, cooked fish, or Cooked Marshmallow can never hurt and are quite easy to make.
- A Swiftness Potion is good at evading the boss.
- In case you are going to use a bow the Archery Potion is a must have and will likely be the key to victory when using bows.
- If you prefer magic weapons, instead of a Magic Power Potion, Mana Regeneration Potion should be used instead.
- If you are going to use melee the Thorns Potion could come in handy.
- Shine Potions and Night Owl Potions are helpful, but not really essential. They just make seeing other mobs and terrain easier.
- Featherfall Potions are extremely helpful for dodging projectiles in this fight.
- If you have trouble with the fight you may be able to loot shadow chests and obtain some Lifeforce Potions
The Fight[edit | edit source]
What Starplate Raider lacks in defence is makes up for in damage. The boss deals lots of damage, so unless you can tank it you must keep your distance. The boss fires many projectiles at once, which is why ranged is such a good class choice for this battle. Melee users may be able to withstand all the projectiles, but other classes will most likely struggle surviving the projectiles. Remember, this boss has low defence but very high damage.
Piercing weapon users would benefit from trying to lead the boss towards them, so that the body is straight, allowing maximum piercing effectiveness. This is a fantastic idea, but one must be careful of the Starplate Raider's steam beam, a shadowbolt attack that is shot by the head. This attack is near impossible to avoid without moving out of the way, so you must be cautious.
The raider often attacks with the Electrified Bolts, the attacks shot out by Gigazappers which inflict the Electrified debuff. This debuff is very deadly to even endgame players, so one must be very cautious of this attack. Fortunately, only the tail may fire out this attack, but one must still be very cautious, even melee users.
The Starplate Raider occasionally does a very dangerous attack: a storm of Starshocks. The segments fire Starshocks, fast moving stars that do moderate damage. Whilst moderate damage doesn't seem to be that bad, you must remember that lots of Starshocks are fired, which end up swarming you. Melee users may be able to ignore this and continue attacking, but others should try to keep their distance during this attack.
One must be wary that once the boss reaches 50% life, it will summon 5 Cog Trappers, a worm like enemy which fires Starshocks from its tail and tries to ram the player. They have high damage and high health, so one would benefit by focusing on these when they spawn.
|Pre-Hardmode Bosses||Scarabeus • Vinewrath Bane • Ancient Flier • Starplate Raider|
|Hardmode Bosses||Infernon • Dusking • Ethereal Umbra • Illuminant Master • Atlas • Overseer|
|Events||The Tide • Blue Moon|